Traditional Red Rice Pongal
Mapillai Samba rice is known for various benefits such as diabetic-friendly diet-friendly, gluten-free, etc.Let’s make a healthy traditional Pongal recipe with this red rice.
- pressure cooker
- Mixing bowl
- 1 cup Mapillai samba rice (red rice)
- 1/2 cup Moong dal
- 1 tbsp salt
- 2 tsp Ghee
- 1/2 tsp Jeera
- 1/2 tsp Black pepper
- Few Curry leaves
- 1 inch Ginger
- 2 no Green Chilli
- 10 no Cashew nuts
- 1. Wash & Soak the red rice in water for 15 minutes.
- 2. Pressure the cook the rice for 3 whistles, by adding 5 cups water and salt.
- Wash and add moong dal to the pressure cooker. Also, add 2 more cups water into it and again pressure cook for 2 more whistles.
- Once cooked, mix and smash the rice & dal.
- Heat 2 tsp ghee in a kadai.
- Add Jeera, pepper, curry leaves, chopped ginger, green chilli and cashew nuts. Sauté well and add to the cooked Pongal.
- Serve with Chutney and Sambar.
1. Soak rice for 15 minutes. 2. Add 5 cups water for one cup rice & pressure cook for 4 whistles. 3. wash moong dal and add to the cooked rice. Also add 2 cups water for the dal to cook. 4. Cook for 3 more whistles for the dal to cook. 5. Once cooked, mix and smash the rice-dal mixture by adding salt. 6. Heat ghee in a kadai. Sauté jeera, black pepper, chopped ginger, green chilli, curry leaves and cashew nuts. 7. Add to the Pongal and mix well. 8. Serve with chutney & sambar.