Traditional Red Rice Pongal
Mapillai Samba rice is known for various benefits such as diabetic-friendly diet-friendly, gluten-free, etc.
Let’s make a healthy traditional Pongal recipe with this red rice.
- 1 cup Mapillai samba rice (red rice)
- 1/2 cup Moong dal
- 1 tbsp salt
- 2 tsp Ghee
- 1/2 tsp Jeera
- 1/2 tsp Black pepper
- Few Curry leaves
- 1 inch Ginger
- 2 no Green Chilli
- 10 no Cashew nuts
1. Wash & Soak the red rice in water for 15 minutes.
2. Pressure the cook the rice for 3 whistles, by adding 5 cups water and salt.
Wash and add moong dal to the pressure cooker. Also, add 2 more cups water into it and again pressure cook for 2 more whistles.
Once cooked, mix and smash the rice & dal.
Heat 2 tsp ghee in a kadai.
Add Jeera, pepper, curry leaves, chopped ginger, green chilli and cashew nuts. Sauté well and add to the cooked Pongal.
Serve with Chutney and Sambar.
1. Soak rice for 15 minutes.
2. Add 5 cups water for one cup rice & pressure cook for 4 whistles.
3. wash moong dal and add to the cooked rice. Also add 2 cups water for the dal to cook.
4. Cook for 3 more whistles for the dal to cook.
5. Once cooked, mix and smash the rice-dal mixture by adding salt.
6. Heat ghee in a kadai. Sauté jeera, black pepper, chopped ginger, green chilli, curry leaves and cashew nuts.
7. Add to the Pongal and mix well.
8. Serve with chutney & sambar.
2 thoughts on “Traditional Pongal recipe with Red Rice”